March 21, 2011

Malden Catholic, Marshfield claim state titles

By Jesse Connolly

It was championship Sunday at TD Garden in the MIAA tournament, and the New England Hockey Journal has a roundup of all the action. Malden Catholic goalie Patrick Young helped the Lancers win their first-ever Super 8 title. (Dave Arnold Photography)

Malden Catholic takes Super 8 crown

 For the first time in 37 years, Malden Catholic has a title to call their own.

 Junior Brendan Collier's tally in overtime gave the Lancers a 4-3 win in the Super 8 championship game at TD Garden over St. John's Prep on Sunday. Trailing 3-1 in the second period, Malden Catholic launched a comeback on their longtime rivals, capped off by Collier's 30th goal of the season -- the first OT tally in a Super 8 title game in a decade.

 Coach Chris Serino's squad, which finished the regular season as the top-ranked team, had some close calls along the way, but came through consistently in crunch time to claim the crown.

 Marshfield launches late comeback to beat Wakefield in Division 1 title game

 After falling behind 2-1 early in the third period, Marshfield scored twice in the final frame to defeat Wakefield 3-2 in the Division 1 championship.

 After winning just five games a season ago, Wakefield looked poised to complete their Cinderella run, but Marshfield went on the attack.

 Junior Connor McLean tied the game at 2-2 with 3:35 to go, then sophomore Mike Carbone buried the game-winner with just 1:31 remaining in the contest, giving the Rams their first state title since 2006.

 Tewksbury takes Division 2 title with thrilling OT win over Franklin

 After what coach Derek Doherty described as his team's worst first period of the tournament, Tewksbury rebounded strongly and eventually downed Franklin 2-1 on overtime, as Mark Petti tallied 3:57 into the extra session.

 The win, which gave the school it's first Division 2 state title in 16 years, was a hard-earned one, especially for goalie Niko Cunha. The netminder stoned one Panther after another on a number of odd-man rushes, keeping the Redmen in the game and giving them a chance to earn the victory.

 Marblehead doubles up Westfield 6-3 in Division 3 championship

 Thanks to a four-goal outburst in the second period, Marblehead ran away with a 6-3 win over Westfield in the Division 3 state title game.

 Senior forward Chris McLeod had a three-point night, chipping in a goal and two assists to lead the Headers to victory. After a rocky first period, Marblehead goalie Tony Cuzna settled down and was sharp for the remainder of the contest.

Westfield, which led 2-1 after 20 minutes of play, wound up getting outshot 42-19 in the game.

 Linehan leads Hingham to Women's Division 1 title over Acton-Boxboro

 Freshman forward Catherine Linehan tallied twice for Hingham on Sunday, leading the Harbormen their first Division 1 title in a 3-1 win over Acton-Boxboro.

 Senior goaltender Beth Findley capped off an impressive four-year run at Hingham, notching her 82nd career victory with 17 saves in the championship.

 Hingham, which won the Division 2 title back in 2008, also got a goal from sophomore defender Emily Falvey.

 Late goal pushes Duxbury past Fontbonne in Women's Division 2 championship

 After being knocked out of the playoffs in consecutive seasons by Fontbonne, Duxbury finally turned the tide.

 Hannah Murphy's last-minute goal snapped a 1-1 tie and gave the Green Dragons their first girls' hockey title. Duxbury dominated the contest, outshooting Fontbonne 32-16 while playing dominant defense.

 Sophomore forward Briana Connolly, who assisted on the game-winning goal, also chipped in her 23rd tally of the season to help Duxbury earn their first-ever state championship.