|Chris Kreider of Boston College tries to make a play during last weekend's 6-2 win over North Dakota. (photo: Dave Arnold Photography)|
Every Friday during the season, New England Hockey Journal will present its power ratings of the region's 20 Division 1 men's teams.
1. Boston College (2-0, 0-0 Hockey East)
If Eagles entered the season slightly under the radar, they have our attention now, after beating Michigan State (5-2) and reigning NCAA champ North Dakota (6-2) to win the IceBreaker.
2. Yale (0-0, 0-0 ECAC Hockey)
Bulldogs don’t play their first game until the Ivy Shootout against Princeton on Oct. 28.
3. Boston University (1-0, 1-0 Hockey East)
Terriers never let New Hampshire breathe in a 5-0 win Saturday night.
4. Maine (1-1, 1-1 Hockey East)
Black Bears fell to Merrimack, 2-1, on Friday, but bounced back to beat Northeastern, 6-3.
5. Quinnipiac (2-1, 0-0 ECAC Hockey)
Bobcats followed up a split at Ohio State with a 5-3 win over Holy Cross Wednesday.
6. Dartmouth (0-0, 0-0 ECAC Hockey)
Big Green open their season against Brown at the Ivy Shootout on Oct. 28.
7. Merrimack (1-0, 1-0 Hockey East)
Warriors won their first game at Maine’s Alfond Arena in 22 tries, a stretch dating back to Nov. 14, 1997.
8. Northeastern (0-1-1, 0-1-1 Hockey East)
Jim Madigan’s (Milton, Mass.) debut behind the NU bench was a hard-fought and dramatic 3-3 tie with UMass Friday night, but his first road game was a 6-3 loss at Maine on Sunday.
9. Holy Cross (0-1, 0-0 Atlantic Hockey)
Crusaders host AIC on Saturday in their Atlantic Hockey opener.
10. New Hampshire (0-1, 0-1 Hockey East)
Wildcats didn’t do much in 5-0 loss to BU Saturday. They’ll try to leave more of a mark this weekend against Northeastern and BC.
11. UConn (0-1-1, 0-0 Atlantic Hockey)
Huskies will try to build off a 4-4 tie with Bowling Green last weekend when it plays at Army on Friday.
12. Brown (0-0, 0-0 ECAC Hockey)
Bears begin their third season under Brendan Whittet (East Providence, R.I.) on Oct. 28 when they play Dartmouth at the Ivy Shootout.
13. Massachusetts (0-0-1, 0-0-1 Hockey East)
Minutemen were two seconds away from a regulation win before getting burned last weekend.
14. Vermont (0-0, 0-0 Hockey East)
The Catamounts get their season started on Friday with an exhibition against the U.S. National Team Development Program’s Under-18 team.
15. Harvard (0-0, 0-0 ECAC Hockey)
Crimson take the ice for a scrimmage on Oct. 21 against Western Ontario.
16. UMass-Lowell (0-0, 0-0 Hockey East)
The River Hawks gave up a game-tying goal with one second left in an exhibition against the University of New Brunswick Saturday, and will open with two at Minnesota State this weekend.
17. Providence (0-0, 0-0 Hockey East)
New coach Nate Leaman’s tenure at Providence starts Friday, when the Friars open their season at home against BU.
18. Bentley (0-2, 0-0 Atlantic Hockey)
After a couple of losses at Michigan, Falcons play at Massachusetts on Friday.
19. AIC (0-2, 0-0 Atlantic Hockey)
Yellow Jackets were competitive in close 4-3 and 3-1 losses at Michigan Tech.
20. Sacred Heart (0-2, 0-0 Atlantic Hockey)
Pioneers took it on the chin last weekend, losing 9-0 and 6-0 at Minnesota. Should fare a little better at Clarkson this weekend.
Hockeyjournal.com’s weekly Division I power ratings are comprised by college hockey writers Andrew Merritt, Dan Guttenplan, Allen Lessels and Mike Zhe. They can be reached at email@example.com.